Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hot Chocolate with Caramilk Cream Mousse



Wow, and double wow. We are not big drinkers in our house, but we do enjoy the odd treat. When I saw Caramilk Cream Liqueur in the store I knew we had to try it! So far, so good :)
I found this recipe for mousse, and then I made this recipe (slightly modified) for hot chocolate. We put the mousse on top of the hot chocolate and it was soooo good! My husband tasted it first and immediately told me that I wouldn't like it but that he would drink it for me so it wouldn't be wasted lol!

The mousse and the hot chocolate do taste good without the liqueur so if you don't drink, no fear. It does add a wow factor, but it is still very tasty without!


Mousse Recipe
2 Cups Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
3 Egg Whites
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp. Caramilk Cream Liquor(optional)



1. Whip cream to medium peaks.
2. Melt chocolate until it reaches 105°F (40°C).
3. Heat sugar to 240°F (115°C) softball stage.
4. Whip egg whites to soft peaks.
5. Slowly add hot sugar to the egg whites while whisking to form a meringue.
6. Fold meringue into melted chocolate.
7. Fold in the whipped cream.
8. Add Caramilk Cream Liquor, if using

It's a bit of a complicated recipe and I wasn't very good at the sugar part. I ended up burning it a bit and it turned brown and hardened when it mixed it with the egg whites, but I just picked out the pieces and it still tasted great! I also melted the chocolate in the microwave. I made a half batch of the above recipe as well because I had liquid egg whites so it was easy to get 1.5 egg whites!

Make sure you fold the meringue into the whipped cream. Don't beat it in, you don't want to over mix your whipped cream!

Hot Chocolate Recipe
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3/4 Cup Sugar
Pinch Salt
1/3 Cup Boiling Water
3 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Half and Half Cream
2 Oz. Caramel Cream Liqueur (optional)

Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup cream and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and divide between 4 mugs. Add 1/2 Oz. of caramel cream liqueur to each  mug, if desired. Top with mousse and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!