Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Granola Bars

For my first real post I thought I would start with what seems to be a very popular favourite recipe. Granola Bars that will make you gag at the thought of a prepackaged foil wrapped cardboard bar!
This originally started as a completely different recipe and I broke it down to the oats and flour and rebuilt it. So I feel like I can call it my own personal recipe :)

41/2 Cups Rolled Oats
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/8 Cup Ground Flax Seed (Substitute flour if you don't have this)
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
5 Tbsp. Brown Sugar (not packed)
1 Tsp. Vanilla
2/3 Cup Oil
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Molasses (Scant)
1/3 Cup Applesauce (Heaping)
2 Cups Raisins, Chocolate Chips, Nuts, Seeds, Berries etc.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
Mix together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together liquid ingredients in a small bowl and then mix into the dry. Add the 2 cups of extras. I usually do a mix of raisins, sunflower seeds, walnuts and a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips. But mix it up! Dried cranberries, dates, almonds etc. they will all taste wonderful!
Pour into pan, and press down or if you have a small rolling pin roll it down. Bake for 10 minutes, re-roll it down (or push it down), and bake for another 5-10 minutes, just until the edges start to brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars with a sharp knife. Let cool completely before removing from pan.

I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer bag and pull them out one at a time for lunches.

Enjoy! And beware that once you make these you may find yourself becoming quite snobby towards store bought granola bars!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to try these! I'm starting to develop a kitchen addiction too! I am making all of our own bread. The other day I made spinach pasta, homemade sauce (straight from the tomatoes), italian bread, and roasted garlic butter. Man does it feel great to make stuff that you know the ingredients off, is homemade and tastes fabulous!! I can't wait to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so much fun and so much better tasting! I hope you like the granola bars as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!