Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Butter

I love butter! Butter on popcorn, corn on the cob, on toast...etc etc etc! But...its expensive :(
What I have started doing is buying whipping cream when it is a day or two away from expiring (and VERY discounted!) and I make butter!!
I pour it into the stand mixer, turn it on medium high and walk away. It gets to the whipping cream stage (obviously) and then you will notice chunks of butter sloshing around in the liquid. Drain the chunks (keep the liquid though) and then put the chunks back in the mixer. Sprinkle a small amount of salt and mix again (if you don't do the salt you do get a slight whipping cream aftertaste). Re-drain, squeeze out the liquid (with your hands or with a cheese cloth) and put into small containers. Freeze what you wont use in a week or so. I freeze it in about 1 cup portions because thats what I know will definitely get used.
The liquid you drained off? Buttermilk!! I either use this right away in a recipe or I freeze it in portion sizes I know certain recipes use. Its wonderful in pancakes and waffles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!