Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Raspberry Pie

Without LARD!!! This is the easiest pie dough I have ever made and it turned out flakey and light :)
I love to make pie but hubby cant eat really fatty things like lard or shortening so I only make it once or twice a year. A friend posted on Facebook that she wanted to make pie but was out if shortening and it got me thinking. There had to be a way!
I came across several recipes and this one seemed the simplest. I had to throw my first try in the garbage because I followed the recipe exactly :( Once I realized it needed less flour then it actually called for it was smooth sailing!
I have a deep pie plate so I made two recipes to make a covered pie.

Best raspberry pie Ive had in a long time...possibly ever!

Pie Dough Ingredients
1/2 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1/8 Tsp. Salt
Mix together and roll out. I did find it was stickier then regular pie dough so I rolled it between two pieces of plastic wrap (wax paper or parchment paper would work too).
Bake as you would your regular crust.

Raspberry Filling
4 Cups Fresh Raspberries
1 Cup Sugar (I used cane sugar)
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp. Corn Starch (I used Arrowroot flour but Tapioca would work too)
Milk or Cream for brushing the top before baking.
My berries were really squished and juicy so I also added 1 1/2 Tsp. Xanthan Gum. I really should have added more because it was quite runny.
Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes then at 375 F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!