Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Crock Pot Taco Chicken

Last night's supper was amazing! And amazingly easy too. I was done making it (except the rice) by 930am! Now that's what I call a win!
BudgetBytes is a new website I have found courtesy of Pinterest, and she's got some pretty neat recipes. Also, they break down the cost of each recipe per serving. It's in American prices, but at least it gives you some sort of idea. It's a website that's worth taking a browse through :)

Ingredients
1.5lbs Chicken Breasts (I used 3 small ones and started with them frozen)
2 Cups Salsa
2 Cups Black Beans (Canned or pre-soaked and cooked)
1 Cup Frozen Corn
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp. Cumin
1/2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic 
1/2 Tsp. Oregano
1/4 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Tsp. Salt
Pepper, to taste
2 Cups Dry Rice
1 Cup Shredded Cheese (or more!)
Cilantro, to taste (optional)

Add everything to the slow cooker except the rice, cheese and cilantro (if using). Give it a good stir and then make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
Cook on low for 8 hours. (I have a large oval crock pot and it took less then 6, but yours may differ).
Cook rice towards the end of the cooking time.
At the end of the cooking time stir with a fork to shred the chicken.
Build taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro!



I think you could get away with adding double the beans and make this recipe go even farther. Everything is so flavourful that extra beans would just make it better :)
I love that I was able to make this with frozen chicken breasts. Freezer to crock pot to plate. I love it!



This recipe makes about 8 Servings. It's hard for me to estimate because hubby eats enough for 2 adults most of the time! We had a wonderful supper plus I had enough left over for 2 lunches for him and 1 lunch for me. I think this is my new favourite crock pot recipe!

I haven't tried it yet, but the original poster of this recipe said it freezes wonderfully, rice, cheese and all! Just throw in the microwave to reheat!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing Lee Ann! I am so trying this out next week! :)
    ~Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like it! I am making it again tonight, twice in one week, it's so good! This time I didn't have enough black beans so I put a cup of dried lentils and more corn...hopefully it tastes just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee Ann...tried this recipe this week and LOVED it! However, I did presoak my bean/lentil mixture for 12 hours overnight and cooked the dish in my slow cooker for over four hours on high and the beans/lentils still came out slightly undercooked. When I do the recipe again, I think cooking the dry beans/lentils first will work better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I usually soak and then cook because Im not a fan of crunchy beans! I will edit above to say pre soaked/cooked :)
    Im glad you still liked it though. I do usually cook it for about 5-6 hours in a large oval crock pot as well (a thinner layer to cook) so if you have a small round cooker it might take 6-8 hours to get the beans cooked. Ive been making this at least twice a week lately! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!