Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Good GF Bread

I know I said I didnt want to use a pre mixed gluten free flour blend but Ive temporarily had a change of heart :) Because we live in a small town all the different flours are not readily available. I decided it might be wise to have a recipe that works well with something locally available so I always have a backup. Bob's Red Mill AP Flour Blend is one that was recommended to me and both our grocery stores stock it!
The following is a recipe called 'Perfect Bread'. I would say its definitely pretty close. One thing Ive learned thus far is to NOT lick the batter...its absolutely disgusting!

Ingredients
3 Cups AP Blend
2 1/4 Tsp. Xanthan Gum
2 1/4 Tsp. Yeast
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/4 Cups Warm Water
2 Large Eggs
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp. Fine Sea Salt

Mix together the flour, xanthan gum and yeast. In a large mixing bowl mix the water, eggs, oil and vinegar. Add the dry ingredients (but not the salt). Mix on low until incorporated then a minute on medium. Add salt and mix for 2 minutes on medium high.
Grease a loaf pan. Pour the dough in and let rise for about 30 minutes. Do not let it get more then double in size or it will cave in when baked. I like to warm my oven up a bit then let the bread rise in there. Then I dont have to move it after it rises and risk it falling. Preheat to 350° F. (with bread still in the oven if thats where you let it rise). Cook for about 30 minutes (including preheat time), or until the top is a nice brown and you can see the sides are brown and pulling away from the pan.
Cool 5 minutes in the pan. Cool on a cooling rack for 20-30 minutes. Slice the entire loaf. If it wont be used in a couple of days then freeze and defrost slices as necessary. When its a couple days old it tastes much better if its warmed up a little or toasted. But fresh its wonderful warm or cold!

Im thankful that my son is back on dairy and eggs...gf bread turns out so much better when you can use real eggs and not a substitute!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!