Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2011

Microwave Caramels


Tis the season for lots of baking and lots of expensive ingredients!
Caramels are one of those ingredients. I already bought caramels for the baking I plan to do for a cookie swap I'm hosting next week but I decided to try making them from scratch today with this Recipe. I think it works out to be a lot cheaper! And yes, they have corn syrup in them...sue me :)I have a recipe for homemade 'corn syrup' but I haven't tried it yet and I was running short on time! Thankfully I had just enough corn syrup left in my pantry from I don't know how long ago!

1/4 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (I used Demerara)
1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup (just less then half is fine)
1/2 Cup Condensed Milk (I made my own)

Combine everything in a microwavable bowl. Cook 5 minutes stirring every 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Line a pan with parchment paper or lightly grease a pan (pan size depends on how thick you want your caramels. I used a 9x13 because I wanted fairly thin) and pour the mix. Spread it out evenly and refrigerate. Cut, wrap in wax paper and store in an air tight container or use immediately in your recipe.
If you know how much melted caramel your recipe calls for you can skip the cooling stage!

I made caramel fondant rolled toffee with mine! Recipe and delectable pictures to follow soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!