Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quinoa Oat Muffins


I was so excited to find a GF recipe that didn't call for many different flours that I had to try this right away. I had just picked up some quinoa flour at Bulk Barn and was itching to try it out. I am a frequent shopper of bulk barn and I love it when they get a new gf product, I always get some to try right away! I love quinoa because of it's high nutritional content, and now I can use it more often! I use GF oats for this recipe, obviously if you aren't avoiding gluten then by all means use your regular oats!! This recipe is from Virtually Vegan Mama so these are vegan depending on the type of milk you use. I've made these with coconut milk (the drinking kind, not the thick canned kind) and also with cows milk and they both turned out great! Whether you are a gf house or just trying to eat healthier I would say give these a try. My kids love them and they are packed full of all sorts of good for you things!

1 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp. Water
1 1/4 Cup Quinoa Flour
1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (not instant, but not steel cut either)
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Cup Milk (any type is fine)
1/2 Cup Date Syrup (Recipe coming soon, if you don't have this use maple syrup or even honey instead)
2 Tsp. Vanilla
1/4 Cup Raisins
1/4 Cup Chopped Dates
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a muffin pan (or mini muffin pan).

Mix 1 Tbsp. of Ground Flaxseed with 3 Tbsp. of Water, set aside.
Mix together dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl mix together flaxseed mixture and other wet ingredients.
Mix everything together. Fold in raisins, dates and nuts. Mix until just combined. Spoon batter into muffin pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool slightly before removing from the pan. Enjoy! These are best enjoyed within a few days of baking but will last longer if stored in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!