Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns

BBQ season is upon us and that means for many of us a steady diet of grilled food! I have been pretty good about not buying anything in the bakery section for a long time (except the odd loaf of bread when I forgot to bake some!). I don't want to ruin this wonderful new trend by buying buns. So I found this recipe on Blisstree and it works wonderfully!
Ingredients
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Butter
1 Tbsp. Honey
1 Pkg Instant Yeast
1 Tsp. Salt
4 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Egg, Room Temperature


Heat the milk, water honey and butter in a small saucepan just until the butter melts. Remove from heat and let cool to at least 120F. This is important or your egg will cook when it hits the mixture!
Carefully beat in egg.
Mix together 2 cups of the flour, the yeast and the salt. Pour liquid ingredients into dry. Add the rest of the flour 1/2 a cup at a time until the dough forms a soft ball.
Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Form into buns. Personally I dont care if they are round so for hamburger buns I roll it out to the thickness I want in a square (remember they will rise) and then I cut them into appropriately sized smaller squares. For hot dogs I do rectangles..roll out into a large rectangle and slice. Its very easy and you end up with consistent sizes.
Let rise for approx. 30 minutes or until about double in size. Let rise with sides touching for soft sides. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes. Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!