Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

'Instant' Pudding & Whipped Topping

Ignore the lighting, the topping is actually white!
Once out of the fridge the topping melts quickly.



 This one I'm kind of on the fence about...The pudding was good. The whipped topping wasn't as thick as I expected and had an unexpected marshmallowy (is that a word?) taste to it. It was good, I ate a whole bowl (shortly after taking the above pictures!), I'm just not sure I would make the topping again.

Chocolate Pudding Ingredients:
(Recipe from Homesteading Today Forum)

(Keep in mind this makes more then one batch to have in the cupboard to make up as you please! I actually quartered the recipe from the one in the link. )
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Milk Powder
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cup Corn Starch(I just learned Arrowroot Powder can be substituted 1/1 for Corn Starch in any recipe but have no idea where to buy it! I think I will check Earth's General store when I go to use my LivingSocial bargain :) )
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
Mix it all together and store in a ziploc bag.
Use: Mix 2 cups of milk with 2/3 cup of powder in a pot. Stir while boiling until it thickens (about 10ish minutes). Pour into smaller cups and put into the fridge to cool.

Whipped Topping Ingredients:
(Recipe from all-recipes.org)
1/3 Cup Milk Powder
1/3 Cup Ice Cold Water
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
Chill bowl and beaters in freezer for 15 minutes before using.
In chilled bowl combine powdered milk, ice water, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat on high speed until peaks form.
I put everything into my stand mixer and left it on high for what seemed like a really long time. It did thicken up, to a very soft peak forming stage. Perhaps I was impatient? I don't know. It seemed like it was as good as it was going to get. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really a good substitute for whipping cream either...although it is a lot healthier then Cool Whip!! ***UPDATE*** If you make the whipped topping use all of it at once! It turns really nasty in the fridge :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!