Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Everybody Loves Doughnuts!




If you have played the video game 'Splosion Man, then you will understand the title, if you haven't played it, you are missing out and you should play it sometime!! (Yes I am a bit of a geek, this is one of my favourite games!)


Either way, most people love doughnuts! The other night I wanted to deep fry a dessert, and my husband laughingly suggested crullers. I, of course, jumped at the challenge immediately! I'm so glad I did, they turned out perfect! I have already made them twice :)
This is a Food Network recipe.
They barely lasted long enough to get a picture!
Ingredients
Crullers: 
1 Cup Water
8 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 Tsp. Salt (Adjust this if you use salted butter)
1 Cup Flour
3-4 Eggs
Oil, for frying


Glaze:
2 Cups Icing Sugar
1/4 Cup Milk


 Combine the water, butter, sugar and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. 
Remove from heat and add the flour all at once. 
Stir hard with a wooden spoon until incorporated. 
Return to heat and cook about 2 minutes (until some moisture has evaporated), while stirring constantly.
Move mixture to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (you can use a hand mixer or mix it by hand too), turn it on to medium speed and add 1 egg at a time while mixing. 
Mix until the dough is smooth and glossy and the eggs are completely incorporated. 
The dough should be thick, but should fall slowly and steadily from the beaters when lifted from the bowl. If the dough doesn't do this, add the 4th egg and mix again. I made the mistake of thinking I needed a 4th egg the first time, and it was really runny. The next time I used only 3 and it was perfect!
Line a baking sheet with wax paper/parchment paper. 
Using a pastry bag (icing bag works fine!) fitted with a star tip (a large one) pipe the dough onto the pan in rows of 2 1/2 inch rings. 
Freeze for at least an hour to make them easier to pick up. (Almost frozen solid works best. If not frozen they will still taste fine, and cook fine, but they will be messy to get into the oil and will lose their 'cruller' shape).
Heat the oil to 375 degrees F. 
Lift the dough circles off the pan and carefully slip into the oil. 
Fry turning once until lightly browned. 
Drain the crullers on a cooling rack (make sure you put paper towel or something underneath!). Dip them completely in the glaze. 
Let the crullers cool and set before serving (if you can resist!!).

I think these are definitely going to be on the 'most requested' list in our house! We live within walking distance of Tim Hortons, and I would prefer to patiently wait for them in the freezer and then cook them rather then eating one of their crullers!!
I think I might double the recipe next time and let some freeze solid in the freezer. If left to thaw for 10-15 minutes before frying, I think they would defrost nicely and taste just as good and be more of an 'instant' treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!