Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sunbutter

Most schools are peanut free and parents are left with not a lot of fast sandwich options. Thats where sunbutter comes in! Sunflower seed butter has a nutty taste but is wonderfully nut free. The drawback? Its expensive. I decided it couldnt be too hard to make so after extensive googling this is the recipe I chose. I think it tastes good but I need to do a taste test with a few guinea pigs before declaring it perfect!

Ingredients
2 Cups Toasted Sunflower Seeds (hulled)
1Tbsp. Ground Flax Seed
3 Tbsp. Canola or Sunflower Oil
Pinch of Sea Salt
1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup (optional)
I didnt use the maple syrup but if you like sweetened peanut butter then you would probably want to put it in :)

Pour sunflower seeds into food processor or blender and process until a sticky meal forms.
Add the oil and the salt and process until desired consistency.
You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
I used a full size bowl and only made half a batch so I had to do a lot of scraping. I would think a bigger batch would process easier. Mine has a bit of a crunchy consistency but I love chunky peanut butter so its perfect for me! Tastes great with honey or jam.

Hopefully this will help some parents of kids with allergies (or those whose kids attend a nut free school) to save some money and have an easy lunch option for those rushed days!



Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!