Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Ever since discovering lard free pie baking I have been on a pie frenzy! I have 9 years of pent up pie baking to get out!
This recipe is extremely economical, it only took 2 chicken breasts and it made enough to feed us for 2 meals and everybody was full! In our house thats a huge win!

My pie plate is really deep so if you are working with shallow dishes make sure you have enough pie dough for at least 2 pies since this is a big recipe!

Ingredients
2 Batches of Lardless Pie Dough (or enough of your favourite recipe to do a top and bottom pie)
3 Cups of Chicken Broth (I made mine using 3 heaping tsp. of Better then Bouillon by Superior Touch and 3 cups of water)
2 Chicken Breasts, cubed
4-5 Carrots, chopped
1 Green Pepper, chopped (mine was small, from my garden!)
3 Large Potatoes, cubed
3 Tsp. Butter or Margarine, heaping
2 Tbsp. Flour, heaping
1 Cup Milk (I used Plain Coconut Milk but any type will do!)
Pepper, to taste
Dried Onion, to taste
Celery Salt, to taste
Add whatever veggies/ spices you want this is just what I had on hand and what I knew my veggie-hating family would eat!

Boil carrots, pepper, potatoes and chicken in the broth until cooked through. In a seperate pot melt the butter and add the flour, pepper, onion and celery salt. Cook for a minute or two then add milk. Cook until it thickens...watch it closely it thickens fast!
Add milk mixture to veggies and chicken and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes to let it thicken. Brush the bottom pie crust with egg white to prevent it from going soggy. Pour mixture into pie crust and place (if you want to) top crust on. Note: I made the big one covered and a little one with some leftover dough uncovered and it thickened up a lot more uncovered. But both tasted good! Cover edges of crust with tin foil if its a topped pie.
Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes, remove tin foil and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.

You will notice there is no picture...it was too yummy smelling and I lost all thought of picture taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!